Social Work Scotland Children and Families Standing Committee is the unique voice for the leadership of children and families social work and social care professions.
The Committee supports practice which protects the most vulnerable children and families in Scotland and which is led effectively and creatively to achieve social justice and public protection; promotes partnership between children and families, communities, statutory bodies and the 3rd sector, local government, ministers, academics and other professional bodies; and progresses a cohesive integrated response to improving outcomes for children.
- Represents the collective voice of children and families social work and social care leadership in responding to and identifying issues which affect children and families.
- Promotes the unique position and value of social work with vulnerable children and their families.
- Continues to highlight the critical importance of early intervention and prevention practice in order to influence the balance of care across Scotland.
- Prioritises and collaborates on proactive strategic commissioning of research and awareness raising activity regarding best evidence and outcomes for children and families.
- Prioritises and collaborates on proactive work which progresses effective social work practice with children and families, which identifies and addresses systemic barriers and which supports workforce development.
- Supports the development of effective and creative leadership across all levels and sectors of children and families social work
The Committee is supported by Sub Groups and Practice Networks which have an information flow in and out of them.
- The Sub Groups support the work of the Children and Families Standing Committee by taking forward specific pieces of work identified.
- The Practice Networks enables the sharing of practice, networking, and supports the committee feedback loop regarding new and emerging practice issues “on the ground”, but can also act as task and finish groups as necessary to support specific work being taken forward in the sub groups, to respond to particular emerging national needs e.g. responses to draft legislation on Adoption.
Meeting dates for the Sub Groups and Practice Networks are available at the bottom of this page.